When it comes to choosing electronic equipment for use in your home, budget may be one of the main factors that limits your choices. Electronic equipment used for entertainment purposes can be very pricey, and this is especially true when you consider home theater systems. But if you’re on a limited budget, there are some great home theater systems that are priced under $500.
When you’re shopping for a home theater system, it’s important to choose one that has all the features you need to enjoy entertainment in your home. Quality speakers are one of the most important features to look for. If you live in a smaller home, you may want to look for a theater system that doesn’t take up a lot of space. The following is a list of the 10 best home theater systems under $500 based on reviews.
10. Bose CineMate GS Series II Digital Home Theater Speaker System
The Bose CineMate GS Series II digital home theater system includes several speakers of different sizes to provide you with quality sound in your home.
This speaker system from Bose has a simple design that makes it easy to setup. It enhances the audio from your TV and many other devices so you can fully enjoy your entertainment in the comfort of your home.
- includes a universal remote to control all your devices at once
- ideal for use in small to medium size rooms
- 2.1 channel speaker system provides enhanced digital performance
- allows you to control most of your devices with the included universal remote control
- has several connection options to work with your TV and gaming console
- Gemstone speakers are small yet powerful
- does not offer wireless connection options
- not designed for use in large rooms
This speaker system from Bose is perfect for use in a bedroom, family room, or other space that is small to medium in size. The system connects to your TV and other devices using wired connections.
9. 80 Watt Sound Bar
The 80 Watt Sound bar from MEGACRA is affordable and ideal for use in rooms where space is limited. This sound bar can greatly enhance the sound of your devices without taking up a lot of room.
This soundbar has several features and adjustments so you can adjust the sound options based on your preferences. It can be used with a TV, streaming device, and other types of electronics.
- can be easily mounted on the wall to save space
- includes a remote control
- bass is full adjustable
- can connect to your devices using Bluetooth
- has wired or wireless connection options
- strong bass allows you to enjoy your favorite music, TV shows, and movies
- not ideal for use in large rooms
- doesn’t have an HDMI port
This soundbar from MEGACRA is affordable and compact so you can easily mount it on the wall. It has powerful bass and allows for complete adjustment so you can better enjoy your favorite entertainment devices.
8. JBL Bar 5.1 4K Ultra HD 5.1-Channel Soundbar with True Wireless Surround Speakers
The JBL Bar 5.1 4K Ultra soundbar includes surround speakers to spread quality surround throughout a room. It can be used in a small, medium, or large size space for high quality sound.
This home theater system is compact but still powerful. It includes everything you need for enhancing the sound of your favorite movies, TV shows, or music on various devices.
- wireless design makes installation easy
- sound bar has 2 detachable battery powered surround speakers that you can easily move around
- 10″ wireless subwoofer provides excellent bass
- detachable speakers have 10 hours of life when used separately from the soundbar
- can be used with 4K devices
- includes 3 HDMI inputs for easy connection to your favorite devices
- system is on the higher end of the price range
- bass can be overpowering without some adjustments and calibration
This powerful soundbar with 2 detachable speakers and subwoofer is the ideal system if you want something easy to install. The wireless design allows you to place the system nearly anywhere to get the best sound from your devices.
7. 100 Watt 40 Inch TV Sound Bar
The 100 Watt 40″ TV soundbar from MEGACRA is adjustable so you can fine tune the settings for the best sound based on your devices and the way you prefer to enjoy your entertainment.
This soundbar from MEGACRA would make the perfect addition to your entertainment setup if space and funds are limited. The bar takes up very little room and is one of the more budget-friendly options available.
- can be mounted on the wall if desired
- bass is completely adjustable to work with different types of media
- can be connected using wired or wireless connections
- easy to install and takes up little space
- includes a remote control for convenience
- can connect to devices using Bluetooth
- only has one speaker which may not work well in larger rooms
- doesn’t have HDMI connection ports
This soundbar from MEGACRA is affordable and easy to use. It includes a remote control so you can adjust the bass and other settings as needed from anywhere in the room.
6. Harman Kardon HKTS 16BQ 5.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker Package
The Harman Kardon HKTS 16BQ 5.1 Channel home theater package includes a full range of speakers to help you better enjoy your favorite movies, music, and shows.
This home theater system from Harmon Kardon is a complete system that can be used with your TV, gaming consoles, and other devices. It’s easy to setup and ideal for use in most rooms.
- includes a 200W subwoofer
- upgradable to 7.1 channels
- comes with voice-matched 120W satellite speakers
- complete system includes speakers and subwoofer
- has bass-boost controls
- speakers are magnetically shielded
- can be difficult to mount on the wall
- connection options are limited
This powerful home theater system from Harmon Kardon includes several speakers along with a subwoofer for excellent sound whether you’re gaming, watching movies, or listening to music.
5. JBL Cinema 510 5.1 Home Theater Speaker System
The JBL Cinema 510 home theater speaker system includes speakers and a subwoofer for high quality sound. This system is affordable and takes up relatively little space when compared to other options.
This speaker system from JBL has been designed for easy installation. It works well in small to medium size rooms and can be installed on the wall to save space.
- includes brackets for wall mounting
- comes with voice-matched, 2-way satellite speakers
- has a 60 watt subwoofer
- easy to install on most walls
- designed to compliment nearly any TV
- provides cinema-like sound in a compact package
- must be used with a surround sound receiver
- wall mounting can be challenging with the included brackets and wire
This home theater system from JBL is affordable and versatile. It’s designed to enhance the sound of your favorite movies and TV show and can work with nearly any flat screen TV.
4. BYL 2.1 Channel 140 Watt Sound Bar
The BYL 2.1 Channel 140 Watt Sound Bar works well for anyone on a strict budget who’s looking for premium sound quality in the comfort of their home for streaming, gaming, and other types of entertainment.
This system from BYL includes the soundbar and a powerful subwoofer. It helps transform your entertainment into a submersive experience similar to what you get in a cinema.
- subwoofer is wireless so you can place it where you prefer
- has 3 EQ audio modes to work with different types of media
- allows for Bluetooth music streaming from your compatible device
- subwoofer has room-shaking bass for excellent movie and music experiences
- you can place the subwoofer anywhere within 60 feet of the soundbar
- can be used with most TV remote controls for convenience
- doesn’t include HDMI connection ports
- included remote control isn’t the highest quality
This home theater system from BYL includes the soundbar and compatible subwoofer for great sound and powerful bass. The system can be used in nearly any small to medium size room to increase your enjoyment of music, movies, and gaming.
3. Onkyo SKS-HT870 Home Theater Speaker System
The Onkyo SKS-HT870 Home Theater Speaker System provides 130 watts of total output with dual-drive front and center speakers and full-range surround speakers.
This home theater system from Onkyo is perfect for any size room. The system is powerful enough to spread sound throughout large rooms which makes it ideal for a home theater or family room.
- 7.1 channel speaker set provides clear and powerful sound
- comes with 2 floor-standing tall boy front speakers which are stylish and functional
- includes a subwoofer with 230 watts of output
- complete system can be used in even larger rooms
- subwoofer provides excellent bass for music and movies
- full range surround speakers provide sound to every corner of the room
- system is larger than most others at this price range and takes up more space
- this system is higher end based on price and may not fit everyone’s budget
This home theater system from Onkyo is designed to provide excellent sound and bass throughout the room. The system includes floor-standing speakers along with smaller speakers so you can place them where you want them.
2. Onkyo HT-S3900 5.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver/Speaker Package
The Onkyo HT-S3900 5.1 Channel home theater system includes the receiver and the speakers. This complete package works well for those who are trying to set up a new home theater or upgrading their old system.
This home theater set from Onkyo features discreet output stage circuitry and 6-channel analog amplifiers to provide you with quality sound in nearly any room of your home.
- includes a USB input for connection to compatible devices
- comes with an easy connection guide to simply the setup process
- has Bluetooth technology for wireless connection
- has options for wired and wireless device connections
- includes the receiver and the speakers
- system is compact for use in small spaces but is still powerful
- subwoofer is not as powerful as the ones included in some other home theater systems
- system may use a significant amount of power, even when turned off
This powerful home theater system from Onkyo includes speakers and a receiver. The system can be used to connect to many different devices, including Bluetooth compatible devices.
1. Yamaha YHT-4930UBL 5.1-Channel Home Theater in a Box System
The Yamaha YHT-4930UBL 5.1 Channel Home Theater system works well for enhancing the sound of your movies, TV shows, gaming consoles, and music.
This system can be connected with many different devices using wired or wireless connections. It works well in small, medium, or large size rooms to easily spread the sound throughout.
- includes Bluetooth technology to connect to compatible devices
- has a 100 watt subwoofer for excellent sounding bass
- includes 4K ultra pass through to work with the latest in technology
- has a compressed music enhancer for better music quality
- uses YPAO sound optimization for automatic speaker setup
- system includes several speakers and a receiver
- system is large and requires a lot of space for use
- adjusting the settings may be confusing for those not familiar with audio settings
This complete home theater system from Yamaha includes the receiver, speakers, and subwoofer. The system also comes with a remote control so you can adjust the settings from anywhere in the room.
Home theater systems can consist of different devices with different features. It’s important to compare the different options based on your specific budget and what you’re looking for in a home theater system. It’s also important to find a system that can easily be installed in the space in which you wish to use it. Some systems may be designed to hang on your wall so they don’t take up a lot of space, which works well if you are putting the system in a smaller room. Be sure to find a system that is compatible with the devices you wish to use it with. This includes existing TVs, gaming systems, DVD players, and streaming devices.
Some home theater systems may be able to connect to your devices using your home WiFi network or a Bluetooth connection, which can be easy and convenient. Other systems may required wired connections. One of the best ways to find a high quality home theater system for under $500 is to read online reviews from other consumers. These reviews provide helpful information on the quality of the system based on price and features.
- 10. Bose CineMate GS Series II Digital Home Theater Speaker System
- 9. 80 Watt Sound Bar
- 8. JBL Bar 5.1 4K Ultra HD 5.1-Channel Soundbar with True Wireless Surround Speakers
- 7. 100 Watt 40 Inch TV Sound Bar
- 6. Harman Kardon HKTS 16BQ 5.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker Package
- 5. JBL Cinema 510 5.1 Home Theater Speaker System
- 4. BYL 2.1 Channel 140 Watt Sound Bar
- 3. Onkyo SKS-HT870 Home Theater Speaker System
- 2. Onkyo HT-S3900 5.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver/Speaker Package
- 1. Yamaha YHT-4930UBL 5.1-Channel Home Theater in a Box System